Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Another exciting day at the doctor...

Yesterday I had an appointment at 1:45, but I had to go to the lab before my appointment to get blood work done. After I got my blood work I went up to my appointment. They gave me a Non-Stress Test. They put a monitor on my stomach that measured the baby's movement in relation to his heart rate. They nurse practitioner said it looked great. My blood pressure was also really low, so I thought I was good to go. Then, she said she was going to call down to the lab to check my results. Well, she came back and said that my liver enzymes were too high, and I have a UTI. This means that my liver isn't funtioning correctly and possibly my kidneys, and these are both signs of pre-eclampsia (or toxemia as some people know it). Also, UTI's are dangerous during pregnancy, because they can spread to the uterus and cause preterm labor. They also cause contractions sometimes. The nurse practitioner consulted with another doctor at the practice I go to, because my doctor was off for the day. They decided I should be admitted to Labor and Delivery. In Labor and Delivery they hooked me up to blood pressure monitors, heart rate monitors, and a monitor for contractions. They then took my blood again. My liver enzymes were still slightly elevated, but since my blood pressure seemed to be stable, they sent me home...thank goodness! I was having small contractions, though! The funny thing was whenever I got discharged they sent a girl in with a wheelchair, and she asked me if my family knew where to pick me up. I told her I drove to the hospital myself! She looked kind of surprised! I mean obviously they weren't going to wheel me to my car out in the parking lot, so I got Britt to go get my car. I was at the hospital from about 12:15-6:15...not what I expected! Thankfully Mom and Britt came up there to keep me company! My next appointment is Thursday at 1:30. I will be getting an ultrasound and seeing my doctor. Please pray that everything goes ok. It seems like every time I go to the doctor things get worse! I cannot miss my baby shower on Saturday! I have been looking forward to it for my whole life!

No comments:

Post a Comment